Govt Of India Income Tax Dept and NIITs Tax Return Preparer Scheme (TRPS)
The Income Tax Department, in partnership with NIIT, brings an opportunity for the unemployed/partially employed graduates to become self-employed professionals through first-of-its-kind initiative called Tax Return Preparer Scheme (TRPS).
It offers training to 5000 graduates across the country at the state of the art NIIT centres.The cost of training will be borne by the Income Tax Department, Govt of India.
Graduates who complete the training successfully will be issued a certificate and a unique identification number which will authorize them under the Income Tax Act, 1961 to work as self employed Tax Return Preparers. The scheme authorises the self-employed Tax Return Preparers to prepare and file the tax-returns of small and marginal individual and HUF tax payers.
Government Support to TRPs (Tax Return Preparers)
The government will assist the TRPs through:
1. Arranging for their training by NIIT.
2. Post training, web-based advanced learning to upgrade their skills.
3. 24/7 Helpdesk to clarify TRPs’ doubts pertaining to their work.
4. Monitoring and coordinating their activities and providing logistical support through a Resource Centre.Top
Eligibility Criteria for Tax Returns Preparer
1. Qualification:- Candidates should possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in any of the following subjects: -
* Law (LLB)
* Economics (B.A. / B.Sc.)
* Statistics (B.A. / B.Sc.)
* Mathematics (B.A. / B.Sc.)
* Commerce (B.Com.)
* Management/ Business Administration (BBA / BBM)
Candidates between the age of twenty-one (21) and thirty-five (35) years as on 01/10/2006, shall be eligible to apply. Top
Procedure to become a Tax Returns Preparer
1. Detailed information about the scheme can be viewed fromÂ www.trpscheme.com.
2. Application form can be filled fromÂ www.trpscheme.com or collected from local NIIT centres.
3. Application forms would also be published in various newspapers.
4. Candidates are required to enclose a demand draft of Rupees One Hundred (Rs 100/-) in favour of “NIIT Limited-TRPSCHEME” A/c. along with the application form.
5. Training of 5,000 candidates will be carried out at 100 centres across the country.
6. Selection of the candidates for the training shall be made for each centre separately.
7. A maximum of 500 candidates per centre shall be short listed out of the applications received on the basis of the marks obtained in the bachelor’s examination. Only short listed candidates will be called for enrolment test.
8. An applicant is allowed to apply for 3 centres, clearly indicating the centre preferences in the application form. Selection will be made centre wise.
9. In case a candidate is short listed at more than one training centre for enrolment test, s/he would be allotted the training centre according to her/his order of preference filled in the application form.
10. The result of the enrolment test shall be posted onÂ www.trpscheme.com.
11. Successful candidates will make a security deposit of Rupees One Thousand (Rs 1000/-) with NIIT. This deposit will be refunded only on successful completion of training.
12. The successful candidates will go through a rigorous training program, including web based and classroom based training program. Study material will be provided to the successful candidates. After the training Program, the candidates will go through an assessment examination and will be certified as ‘Tax Return Preparers’. They will also get subsequent help through a web based Knowledge Portal and help desk to file returns.
13. The scheme only offers free training to the candidates. Arrangement for stay and transportation has to be made by the candidates themselves.Top
Remuneration for Tax Return Preparers
Tax Return Preparers (TRPs) will receive 3% of the tax paid on the returns prepared & filed for every new assessee in the 1st year, 2% in the second year and 1% in the third year and Rs. 250 for the returns prepared & filed for the old assessees. Top
Tax Return Preparer’s Training by NIIT
* Training of candidates would be provided by NIIT, which is known for its pioneering work in web based and classroom training in 42 countries in the world.
* Training by NIIT at all the 100 centres will ensure a standardised training delivery in term of instructors, course content and infrastructure facilities.
* NIIT has also tied up with Taxmann, a pioneer in the field of Tax education for developing the course material and CDs for all candidates enrolling for the training.
* Post Certification as Tax Return Preparers, NIIT will continuously upgrade skills and knowledge of Tax Return Preparers through a web based portal.
Making it easier for taxpayers to prepare their tax returns, the Income Tax Department has widened the scope of work of Tax Return Preparers (TRPs), as they can now prepare and furnish TDS and Service Tax returns as well apart from normal income tax returns.
The Central Board of Excise and Customs has already amended its Service Tax Act to enable TRPs to prepare and furnish service tax returns on behalf of the tax payers. The training programme for TRPs will be started by the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
The move to authorise TRPs to prepare for TDS and service tax returns will increase their area and scope of work, their remuneration and also help increase compliance to tax laws.
Tax Return Preparer Scheme TRPS was launched in 2006 to help small tax payers and HUF (Hindu Undivided Family) in filing income tax return and also to provide employment to unemployed graduates by providing them training.
To find a TRPS to help you file your taxes in your area call 1800 10 23738 or log on to Â www.trpscheme.com